- 4 1/2 tablespoons robust EVOO
- 6 large shallots , minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 small cloves garlic , minced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg , freshly grated
- 2 pounds white button mushrooms , wiped clean and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms , rinsed well
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or Madeira
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Wild mushroom and sage EVOO
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Sautéed Wild Mushroom Garnish (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons Robust EVOO
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms or chanterelle, oyster, or cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and discarded, mushrooms wiped clean and sliced thin.
- Heat the EVOO over low/medium heat till slightly smoking, add shallots and saute, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and nutmeg; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Increase heat to medium; add sliced mushrooms and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release liquid, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and mushrooms have released all liquid, about 20 minutes. Add chicken stock, water, and porcini mushrooms; cover and bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer until mushrooms are fully tender, about 20 minutes longer.
- Pour soup into a large bowl. Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth, filling blender jar only halfway for each batch. Putting pureed soup into sauce pan; stir in Madeira, cream and Wild mushroom and sage EVOO bring to simmer over low heat. Add lemon juice, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with sautéed mushroom garnish, if desired. (Can be cooled to room temperature and refrigerated up to 4 days.) If making ahead, add cream at serving time.
- For the Sautéed Wild Mushroom Garnish (optional):
Heat EVOO in medium skillet over low heat; when slightly smoking, add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release their liquid, about 10 minutes for shiitakes and chanterelles, about 5 minutes for oysters, and about 9 minutes for cremini. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid released by mushrooms has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, about 2 minutes for shiitakes, about 3 minutes for chanterelles, and about 2 minutes for oysters and cremini. Sprinkle a portion of mushrooms over individual bowls of soup and serve.